in search of the truth...




THIS PAGE HAS MY WRITINGS TILL MARCH,2005.
MY WRITINGS SINCE THEN ARE POSTED AT:

Letters to a friend...- http://ayanletters.blogspot.com/

Monday, March 28, 2005

Taal!

-
Watched the movie Taal for the first time on an APSRTC bus when travelling from Bangalore to Hyderabad (a long, long time after it was released in the theatres though)

Still remember the episode distinctly, it was in between Second semester exams and there was a three day break before the exam and I desperately wanted to get back to Hyderabad. So after the exam got over that day at around 2:30 pm , spent three to four hours convincing myself that being irrational is sometimes rational... then had to convince home and around 7:30 pm, managed to get a ticket to Hyderabad for Rs 330 (the usual cost was around Rs 230).

And then they put on Taal as the bus speeded through the moonlit highway. The acting and story was so-so in the beginning, in fact I decided to switch off initally and try and get whatever sleep I could manage.

But somewhere in the movie, I don't remember distinctly though, Akshaye Khanna, the hero, adopted a stance for which I have always had the highest regard, though the context is completely different. When asked to forget about Aishwarya Rai by his father, he says something like ... I will not disobey you, but if I am true to myself and if my love is true then she will come... and the same dialogue repeats many times, when Anil Kapoor confronts Akshaye Khanna, when Aishwarya Rai meets him and so on ... and the best part, is as expected, Aishwarya Rai reverts to Akshaye Khanna in the end.

The details of that love story are irrelevant and off the point, what I admired was this basic concept which Akshaye Khanna propounded...

"by changing myself, I can change the world. I cannot control the world, but can control myself...if I am honest and true to myself, the people and environment around have to respond"

This is in large measure the core of what Gandhiji also proposed and I've watched parts of Taal quite a few times later to just savour those scenes wherein Akshaye Khanna expresses this faith and sticks to it despite all odds and is finally validated.

The real world many a times atleast apparently doesn't function this way but I still like to hold fast to certain ideals and this is one of them ... I can change the world by changing myself ... it might take time but it has to happen ...

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home